Learn What YOU Can Do To Make it as Stress Free as Possible!
For Both of You…
Don’t know what to do with your dog on those occasions when you just have to leave it home?
Maybe you got a new puppy or dog on one of those spur of the moment decisions since you’ve always wanted a dog, but didn’t realize how much you need to prepare first.
You didn’t think of what you’d do with it while you’re gone somewhere? Did you?
Maybe you thought “well, I’m always home anyways…”
or, maybe you thought Fido would just sit around or sleep while you’re away?
Oh, What is a Little Doggie to Do!
Most dogs that I know are NOT content to sit around waiting for you to come home. They’ll find something to entertain themselves with while you’re gone.
Oh, yes. They will! At least most dogs I’ve owned in the past did. Puppies and young dogs are more likely than older dogs to be destructive about it though. But, there’s always exceptions to the rule. Like some people, some dogs never “grow up” either!
Do you want to take the risk?
Dogs just love to keep busy, especially young ones. They’ll find it terribly exciting to raid the garbage can in search of some tasty snacks, strewing the whole stinking mess all over your beautiful floors. Well, even if your floors aren’t exactly beautiful, it’ll still be a stinking mess!
Dogs have a blast chewing on shoes, furniture, or whatever else they can get their little paws on while their owner is gone. Even for an hour or two. They can get a lot done.
Didn’t think about the days you have to go to work, run errands, go to appointments, etc.? Well, did you? You didn’t think of it???
Okay, maybe you work from home, don’t have to go to work, or whatever. ..
Sometimes, in the excitement of getting a new dog or puppy, we don’t think of everything.
It happens! We make mistakes and we learn. Hopefully.
There’s always going to be times when we have to leave our house. Unless you’re fortunate enough to have a personal assistant to either do everything for you or watch your dog while you’re gone. Lucky you…
For the rest of us, those little errands such as grocery shopping and paying bills can be a catastrophe, if we’re not prepared. Okay, maybe not that bad, but it isn’t any fun coming home to see the devastation that your four-legged fiend has created either.
Maybe your dog will behave, or maybe it won’t.
But, chances are, it’ll be up to something while you’re gone. And, it probably won’t be good. Leaving your dog all by itself can be a recipe for disaster if you don’t know for sure that it won’t chew, tear, or even eat everything and anything it can get it’s teeth into.
If your dog gets into anything that is harmful or poisonous, it can be much worse than you’d expect when you get home. It could cause it to get sick or even be fatal to your beloved pup.
How to Prepare Your Dog for Staying Home Alone
- Crate train your dog as soon as possible. I have done this with all of our dogs and it has been a life saver…and not to mention a home saver…the destructive little home wreckers!
- Give your dog plenty of exercise before you leave.
- Find a place in your home where they will be comfortable and safe-either a crate or if you think your dog will be okay in a small closed off room…just make sure there is nothing that it can get into while it is in there!
- If you will be gone for longer than a few hours, and also depending upon how old your dog is, try to find someone you trust to take your dog out for awhile.
- Leaving a dog home alone for too long such as over six to eight hours is not recommended. They need to go potty at some point, so if you leave your dog for longer than it can hold it, do not blame your dog for any messes!
Going Out of Town?
- Do NOT leave your dog home alone if you are gone for many days! Even a whole day is too much!
- Find a hotel that allows dogs.
- Ask a trusted friend or family member to dog sit while you are away.
- Place your dog in the care of a good dog kennel.
I hope this has helped you out in keeping your dog at home safely and happily...
What do YOU think?
Do you leave your dog in a crate when you’re gone for awhile? Why or Why not?
If you have any questions or comments please leave them below! I’d love to hear from you. Oh, and please feel free to share this with your friends!
Go to Home